2017-2018 Travel Grant Policies
To apply for a travel grant please fill out the 2017–2018 application and email it to Kaitlyn Perez, the 2017–2018 chapter awards chair. More information about the travel grants can be found below.
Application Deadlines for Awards (2017–2018 and beyond)
September 1, 2017
November 1, 2017
January 1, 2018
March 1, 2018
May 1, 2018
July 1, 2018
Objective: PLU travel grants provide funds to assist PLU members traveling to conferences and/or seminars to make presentations on behalf of the University and the Chemistry Department.
National travel grants are given by the National Chapter of PLU for scientific presentation or to promote Phi Lambda Upsilon. National travel grants are funded through yearly chapter induction fees. All Alpha Gamma (ΑΓ) travel grants are given from ΑΓ chapter funds. ΑΓ travel grants are given for scientific presentations. Please see below for more information about eligibility and requirements.
Eligibility and Requirements: Travel grants are available only for PLU members of the Alpha Gamma Chapter of Northwestern University. Each member may only receive one travel grant per academic year. Travel grant applications are not transferable between conferences.
Travel Grant Selection Policy: The below policy is used at the local level to nominate and rank members for National PLU travel grants and to select recipients of ΑΓ-International and ΑΓ travel grants.
- Applicants must be members of the ΑΓ chapter of PLU during the entire application process (including submission and approval).
- Only PLU members who have documented service to the chapter will be considered for PLU travel grants. Preference will be given to applicants with more service hours, with emphasis on service during the last year. Examples of service include SITC volunteers (3 hrs. each class), NGL Sales (2 hrs.), helping with recruitment (varies). Any PLU activity that awards service hours will say so along with the number of hours rewarded. If you have questions on how many hours a given activity is worth, please contact the PLU board member in charge of that activity (i.e. service chair for SITC).
- Only PLU members who have attended all mandatory meetings in the last year will be eligible for travel grants.
- Only PLU members presenting work will be considered for travel grants.
- Only one PLU travel grant will be awarded to a member in one academic calendar year for conference dates between September 1 and August 31.
- Only one travel grant can be awarded to a PLU member during their time at Northwestern University.
- An applicant can apply any time before the respective travel grant application deadline. Preference will be given to applicants who are traveling in the current quarter. If an application is not chosen due to these criteria, it will be retained for reconsideration in every successive quarter until the quarter in which the applicant is traveling.
- Preference will be given for senior members of the department.
- Preference will be given for applicants giving talks over applicants presenting posters.
- Applicants who are not recommended for a National ΑΓ travel grant can automatically be considered for a ΑΓ travel grant if the applicant wishes in accordance with the ΑΓ travel grant rules.
Note: Selection is a holistic process. We seek applications that are strong in all criteria mentioned above. Preference will be given to those already accepted to a conference.
ΑΓ Travel Grants
This year the available travel awards are: 10 × $500 awards and 5 × $250. The amount awarded will depend both on the need of the applicant and their qualifications by the listed criteria.
National Travel Grants
The number of National travel grants is set by the National PLU organization. Applicants who are chosen by the ΑΓ chapter to receive National grants will be directed to submit the application. Successful applicants will receive an award of $250. If you are interested in more details about National PLU Travel Grants, please visit the national website.
Application deadlines (2017–2018)
All travel grants must be submitted no later than one month before the date of travel, thus all applicants must apply for the deadline that is before their date of travel.
ΑΓ travel grants
Grants for travel throughout the academic calendar year beginning and ending the first of September are awarded every two months. Please keep this in mind when applying for travel grants as it may take a few weeks to hear back about your application. Early application is strongly suggested. Under no circumstances will approval be given retroactively if an application is submitted after the conference has begun.
- The deadlines for grant applications for 2017–2018 are as follows: September 1st, November 1st, January 1st, March 1st, May 1st, and July 1st.
- Grant applications will be reviewed during the next PLU board meeting following the deadline.
National Travel Grants
National travel grants are awarded by the National chapter on a rolling basis. If you wish to apply for a National travel grant, submit a travel grant application to the awards chair, and if you are recommended for a National travel grant, you will be forwarded the National travel grant form. Under no circumstances will approval be given retroactively if an application is submitted after the conference has begun.
Applicant will receive notice of a decision within three weeks after the application due date. An email will notify the student of the dollar amount of the award. If you are nominated to receive a National Travel Grant, the National application will be forwarded to you at that time.
ΑΓ Travel Grant Reimbursement
Upon return from travelling, email the current awards chair and you will be provided with a chart string to use on your expense report.
National Travel Grant Reimbursement.
If you are the recipient of a National travel grant, the National organization will send your check to the address supplied in your National application. Please allow 4 to 6 months for processing of National travel grants. If there is a problem with your National Travel Grant, please contact the National officers. If you happen to be leaving the department before your check is awarded, please make sure to leave a forwarding address with the current chapter president.
Submissions: Please fill out the application form and send it to Kaitlyn Perez, the 2017–2018 chapter awards chair, via email (email@example.com).